Which floor is better in the kitchen: a review of materials and design
In each house there is a room in which all family members most often intersect. This, of course, the kitchen. Here everyone loves not only to eat, but also to communicate. That is why many of us attach great importance to the interior of this room, which allows you to create a more comfortable environment.
One of the important elements in the arrangement of the kitchen are its floors. Owners are faced with their choice when planning repairs. Of course, there is something to think about. After all, modern manufacturers offer us a huge range of materials that can be used in the construction of the kitchen floor. The main thing is to choose the best option from a large number of proposals. The material should not be afraid of moisture, various kinds of pollutants, as well as minor damage and accidental scratches. After all, water will constantly be poured on it, cutting objects and dishes will fall.Which kitchen floor is better? Let's try to understand this issue.
Types of floors
What does the construction industry offer today as a floor covering?
- Ceramic tiles.It is a durable and sturdy material with a budget price and easy to install.
- Cork floor, being an environmentally friendly material with an average price and low complexity of arrangement.
- Floorboard.This natural environmentally friendly material does not like moisture, has a high cost and is mounted only by experts.
- Wooden floor.It is a durable natural material that is difficult to install, has a high price and does not like moisture.
- Laminate.The material has high wear resistance, is easy to install and is relatively inexpensive.
- Linoleum.Durable wear-resistant material in the budget price range and easy to install.
- Porcelain tiles.The most durable floor material, but quite expensive and difficult to install.
- Self-leveling floors.This wear-resistant coating is difficult to assemble and impossible to dismantle.
Which floor is better in the kitchen? Before dwelling on one or another variant, it is necessary to solve one more important question. Will the kitchen have heated floors? Answers "yes" or "no" will be important factors when choosing. In addition, you need to pay attention to the floor covering that is already available in the kitchen. Ideally, it should be the basis for the selected material. Otherwise, the owners will have to deal with serious alteration of floors. And this will not only hit the family budget hard, but it will also take a lot of time and effort.
The foundation of the floors is the decisive factor that will have a direct impact on the final result of the work done. So when planning repair it is worth considering that not all materials can be applied in each specific case.
This question is also important when choosing the type of flooring. After all, the whole room should look harmonious. Kitchen floor design must be developed with all the care. This coating, as a rule, is made the background for the visual perception of the room. And only in rare cases it becomes an accent from which the entire interior “dances”.
What should be the design of the floor in the kitchen to make it as comfortable as possible? In this case, experts recommend using the following tips:
- Reduce visual space using large items. If the room has a small footage, then the floor can either have a small pattern, or even do without it.
- A visual increase in space is possible with the help of a floorboard with medium plates, deck installation and glossy coating.
- The color of the floor in the kitchen is desirable to choose with a reddish or pastel shades. This will give the room warmth and comfort.
- The apartment floor in the kitchen, made in a classic way, should be made of tiles with imitation of stone or laminate (parquet), similar in appearance to the valuable wood.
- For the kitchen in the style of Provence or Country tile suitable for stone or artificially aged parquet boards.
- Modern kitchen design accepts absolutely all types of floors.
- Which floor is better in high-tech kitchen? It must be made of materials of gray or any dark color.
- For a retro look, any combination of coatings will do.
- Visually differentiate the kitchen into several zones by applying different types of flooring.
And only after the owners are fully determined with the design and prepare the basis for laying, you can begin to acquire the material. Consider the most popular to date options that the construction industry offers us to arrange the flooring.
This material is artificial and natural. Today, answering the question “Which floor is better in the kitchen?”, Many opt for this practical and convenient option.
The popularity of linoleum can be explained by an impressive list of its advantages. Among them:
- reasonable price if to compare this material with other types of a floor covering;
- durability, that is, the possibility of long-term operation (at least 10 years), even with increased exposure to it;
- simplicity in leaving thanks to easy washing and lack of need for continuous processing;
- ease of installation, because laying the floor in the kitchen consists only in rolling a roll of linoleum, which any owner can do on its own;
- A diverse range with the offer of almost any texture, as well as colors suitable for the design of a particular room;
- the ability to install a heated floor in the kitchen, which is located under the surface of linoleum;
- the practicality of the material.
When buying linoleum, you should consult with the seller in order not to purchase those types of this coating that are not intended for residential premises.
To date, manufacturers offer environmental types of such material. This is artoleum and marmoleum. They are more suitable for creating a healthy atmosphere in the room, but have a high cost compared to its prototype.
Such a floor is the ideal option for those who prefer natural quality materials. Make it from a natural tree. The raw material for such a base is cork oak, or rather, its bark. This floor is one hundred percent safe for health and at the same time very practical. It is very pleasant to the touch and benefits the skin of the feet.
Cork coating is not capable of attracting dust, as well as small pieces of garbage.It is recommended to use it in those houses and apartments where asthmatics and allergies live. Cork flooring has recently become more widely used in the design of kitchens. After all, it is practical, and it is just as easy to get rid of fat as linoleum. This floor will easily fit into different types of interiors, allowing you to create a unique design.
The main disadvantage of cork is the need to varnish it, which performs the function of protection.
The material from which this floor is made, is considered one of the most expensive. Of course, the floors can be mounted from the most affordable species, but at the same time the price of such a design will exceed that which is made of laminate or linoleum. Nevertheless, wood has a lot of advantages, which allowed it to gain wide popularity.
Such floors look respectable, attractive, elegant and rich. They are made of the cleanest and safest material that has a positive effect on human health.
Natural wood is used in the design of country and classic.It is great for other types of interiors.
The wooden floor in the kitchen should be used with furniture made from the same material. This will give the room a very pleasant and attractive appearance.
In addition to the high cost, wood has some other disadvantages. It does not tolerate temperature fluctuations and is exposed to moisture. Wood floors in the kitchen are recommended to be laid only to those owners who are ready to carry out permanent processing of the boards with varnish and oil, which are protective coatings for this coating. There is also the need for regular cleaning of the premises. The main thing for housewives, the floor in the kitchen which is made of wood, to be careful when cooking. After all, this material is worse than others tolerates stains and dirt.
Besides these drawbacks, wood:
- Subject to drying out.This process is most active in the winter period. When the temperature in the room rises, the tree shrinks, which provokes its drying out. Small gaps between the boards spoil the entire interior of the room. But it should be borne in mind that drying does not threaten the floors in the house with high-quality heating.
- Unstable in color.Wood is a natural material with a variety of structure and color. His tone may change at the most unexpected moment. This property of the material is inherent in it by nature itself. However, this disadvantage is sometimes attributed to the advantage of wood.
- It does not allow to install a warm floor in the kitchen.After all, if it is placed under the boards, they will dry out and eventually begin to deteriorate.
Despite the shortcomings, wood is considered the best material for human health. At the same time, its use is an indicator of the respectability of the owners. Wood is also considered the most beautiful material, but those who are not ready for permanent care of it can choose laminate or parquet for their kitchen. Indeed, in their appearance, they resemble the structure of the boards.
With sufficient budget it is recommended to install just such a floor. It will be a great addition to the overall design of the kitchen and recall the wooden material. The parquet has a pleasant to the touch surface and looks very attractive. Just like wood, it is an environmentally friendly material that is absolutely harmless to humans.He has some drawbacks. So, the parquet is capricious in operation. It weakly resists moisture and can easily deteriorate if it is not treated with varnish. But even after applying protection, it is extremely undesirable to pour liquids onto such a floor.
Parquet has a lower cost than wooden boards, but it is included in the category of expensive materials. Its price subsequently increases due to the need for complex installation and further processing.
Due to its pattern, which is similar to the structure of natural boards, this material is an excellent substitute for wood. Of course, he can not boast that it is environmentally friendly and safe for human health. However, today the laminate is quite popular due to its specific advantages, the main of which is considered to be a high resistance of its surface to any kinds of external influences.
In the modern market of the construction industry, customers are offered a wide range of the most varied types of this material with a pattern imitating wood, limestone, marble or granite.Laminate flooring is easily combined with the system of underfloor heating, which makes it popular in kitchens. For all its merits, this material is relatively inexpensive.
Among the disadvantages of the laminate, it is possible to distinguish its low resistance to the influence of liquids, which will require a high-quality waterproofing during construction.
This ceramic material is as popular as laminate and linoleum. The tile on the kitchen floor is very easy to use. At the same time he has an impressive list of advantages. So, the tile for the kitchen on the floor refers to cheap materials. In stores, it is offered in a huge range with a variety of patterns, shapes and colors. Laying tiles does not cause much difficulty. It can be made in various styles, which will allow you to perfectly fit such coverage in the interior.
Tile on the floor in the kitchen prefer to buy because of its ability to imitate materials such as plastic, granite, marble, as well as wood. In addition, ceramics is safe for health and not afraid of exposure to high temperatures, liquids, chemicals and fire.Good tile for the kitchen on the floor and the fact that under it can be installed under floor heating system.
The main disadvantage of such a coating is its temperature. His legs are unpleasant because of the cold surface. With tiles on the floor, you’ll always have to wear warm socks or shoes.
This material is great for flooring kitchen. It perfectly imitates natural minerals. This allows it to fit perfectly into many types of unique designs.
It is not recommended to buy a porcelain stoneware with a glossy surface in the kitchen. Such material is dangerous because it is slippery. It is better if matte is chosen for the kitchen flooring.
By its properties, such a coating is similar to linoleum, laminate and tile. Among the advantages of the self-leveling floor in the kitchen, you can highlight its high resistance to any effects, as well as the absence of the need for thorough care.
For arranging the self-leveling floor in the kitchen, you can choose the appropriate option for a specific room design. This coating fits perfectly in almost any interior.However, it should be borne in mind that the self-leveling floor dismantling is not subject.