When they built the church of St. Sergius of Radonezh (Nizhny Novgorod)? History of occurrence
The beauty of the Nizhny Novgorod churches touches even theadamant atheistic heart. All religious objects in the Nizhny Novgorod region are built for centuries, very thoroughly. They are invested with blood and then a huge number of people who believe in the truth of their church. Everything was built on conscience, with the fear of God. That is why many churches and monasteries, built in the last millenniums, are preserved in their original form. There are some who have undergone some destruction, but have been restored and are now serving us for the inspiration and rebirth of the soul. In the article there will be a speech about the Nizhny Novgorod church in honor of Sergius of Radonezh.
Start of construction
The history of the construction of the temple dates back to 1865. The project was approved personally by Emperor Alexander II. Completed erection in 1869. In 1872, the Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh (Nizhny Novgorod) was equipped with two belfries, designed by the architect Kilevein. They are located on the sides. To conduct church services, the area in them is increased, thanks to the oval shape in the plan. The temple was built with five corners. From the west to it adjoins a thirty-meter four-tiered belltower.
Revival after the atheistic era during the Soviet era
In times of power of the Soviets, when the Orthodoxfaith was persecuted, the Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh (Nizhny Novgorod) became the location of the Union of Artists. And only in 2003 the church was transferred to the Nizhny Novgorod diocese. 2006 was a landmark for the Radonezh church. In October, a bell tower with 12 bells was fully equipped. The largest bell has a weight of 4 tons.
In November of the same year, on the 4th, the church of SergiyRadonezhsky (Nizhny Novgorod) was re-consecrated. Chin was made by George - Archbishop of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas. The bishops Feognost Sergiev-Posadsky and Theophylactus of Bryansk and Sevsk served him. After the consecration, the first Divine Liturgy was served. The first service was attended by a government representative, First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
Since December 2006 the Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh(Nizhny Novgorod) has become a center for Orthodox people with hearing impairments. On Sundays liturgies began to serve with the use of sign language. The creators of the center relied on the experience of the Simonov Monastery, where work with such people has long been conducted.
At the temple are held on Saturdays and SundaysYouth Orthodox Center and Family Club. Thus, the Radonezh church participates in the social missionary work, which is conducted by almost all the churches in Russia, preaching the Orthodox values of the upbringing of children and house construction. In 2010, on January 27, the prayer was held in the Georgian language with a prayer service to Nina, Equal-to-the-Apostles.
Shrine and location
In the Radonezh temple there is an icon thathas a part of the relics of Sergius of Radonezh, the great saint, the monk and ascetic of Orthodox Russia. It was written in 2006 by monks from the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra. Before the icon are performed on Sundays prayer services. The tradition to have icons and pieces of relics of saints, in honor of which church buildings are erected, also preserve all the churches of Russia, attributed to Orthodoxy. The religious cult of reverence for the relics of saints and the righteous, the veneration of icons are inherent not only in the Russian Orthodox, but in the whole catholic Orthodox Church.
Nizhny Novgorod Radonezhsky temple is located on Sergievskaya street. There are many objects worthy of attention. Therefore, Sergievskaya street enjoys great attention from tourists.
History from antiquity
There is an opinion that the history of the church is more ancient. Perhaps, it begins with the monastery of the same name, erected in the XIV century (the land of ignorance). The letter of 1621 testifies to the existence of such a monastery. Then in the monastery Radonezh church there was a chapel, consecrated in honor of Solovetsky Zosima and Savvati miracle workers. The founder of the monastery is unknown. Olisov Afanasy Firsovich, who lived near the monastery, decided to rebuild the new temple. The church became a parish. In it was the icon of the Savior Not Made by Hands. This icon was considered a parishioners as a miracle-working one.
Unfortunately, from the terrible fire of 1701the monastery burned out. Yes, and the type of churches that prevailed at that time (many-sided chopped architecture), which many Nizhny Novgorod churches had, in the XVII century almost completely disappeared.
After this place was erected a new temple, inthe honor of the Savior of the Holy Face and Sergius the Wonderworker. When the church was rebuilt, it was consecrated in honor of Sergius of Radonezh. But the church needed major repairs. In 1838, it was repaired, but this did not save the entire church building. Therefore, it revived as early as 1865. According to the architecture, its forms strongly resembled the traditional Old Russian churches. They were deliberately embossed. And it was only in 1872 that the church received a request to Kilevain with the request to complete additional areas for the service. Then they designed and completed the oval bell-towers that violated the integrity of the temple artistic image, but gave an additional area.