Does the sugar plate interfere with life? Insect control methods
No housing is immune from insects that cause harm and unpleasant emotions. Even in the cleanest apartment, the appearance of moths, cockroaches, flour bugs, or sugar scales can occur. Warm climate is one of the causes of pests. They tolerate warm winters better, and the warming trend has recently become apparent.
How to fight?
According to statistics, more than 50% of insect victims choose various chemicals to fight them. This is the most efficient and fast way. However, it is worthwhile to think carefully before you opt for a chemical “baton”. Popular wisdom keeps many secrets of the use of natural products that do not harm either man or the environment.
Who is this silverfish?
Silverfish likes to appear unexpectedly. We can observe it by raising the pot with our favorite plant, rearranging the food bags in the pantry or pulling out the drawer.This centimeter insect with a shiny back begins to rush from side to side, in order to quickly find shelter. The French called this creature a silver fish. Although it looks like one except with its silver color. The silverfish has, like most of its insect relatives, a segmented body endowed with six fast legs. On the head is a pair of bristly antennae resembling a cockroach mustache. But the body ends, in contrast to cockroaches, with three antenna-like processes that are directed backwards and to the sides.
Its elongated body outside is covered with iridescent spangles, which are often found in insects. “Lepisma saccharina” is the Latin name of the insect, which speaks of the love that the sugar plate tastes of sweets. Of course, such an accusation is not devoid of meaning. These insects love to eat sugar, but they eat with no less pleasure, for example, starch and even dry glues. It turns out that the appearance of these nimble creatures in the house is possible even on starched curtains or sheets. They qualitatively spoil both leather and woolen things, gladly eat book bindings, dine with leftover food from a person’s table. Of course, eating silverfishvery little and is unlikely to leave a person without food. But in itself, the spectacle of this silver "reptile" on the family table causes disgust.
Silverfish: pest control
- To prevent the appearance of this insect in the house should understand the rule: moisture and dust - the halo of their habitat. These insects lay eggs only in warm and humid places. To eliminate excessive moisture in the house should be cleaned ventilation, and you can install additional. It does not hurt to dry the wet room with a heat fan. Dry corners will relieve the appearance of the scions of the silverfish - its eggs will simply die in an unfavorable environment. Bath after use should be ventilated.
- The silverfish leaves the room if the temperature drops to +15 С. In winter, it is easy to reduce the temperature in the house - just open the windows for an hour.
- General cleaning also does not hurt. Especially check the corners, get rid of the mold. For this you can use a strong solution of chlorine. First wipe the moldy walls with it, then apply the copper sulfate dissolved in the water and dry the fan with warm air. Wash the floor with vinegar.
- Check out the bookcases.They should be clean and dry. From the wall, the bookcase should be moved 20-30 cm away.
- Also suspicious places can be treated with insecticidal aerosols. After that, the room is well ventilated.
- Take 80% chalk and 20% boric acid powder. Stir and sprinkle with powder all wet places in the house. Large individuals will disappear rather quickly. A month later, repeat the procedure to eliminate the hatched offspring.
- One last thing: a professional disinfector will cope with this problem easily.
We wish you only pleasant neighbors!