Team building: what it is, organization and conduct, examples
Team building has been successfully used to unite workers and increase the efficiency of their work in Western practice and in a number of domestic companies. What it is, you can understand the example of sports clubs. Only that team achieves success in which the participants understand each other well and closely interact with each other. It was this sporting principle that was noticed by managers in the 50s and began to be actively used in the development of management policies.
A bit of history
For the first time, people appreciated the advantage of coordinated teamwork and mutual aid back in antiquity. But the first manifestations of team building, close to those of which we are talking now, originated during the Second World War. In those years, British specialists worked hard to develop training for the soldiers of their army.
But especially seriously thought about the need for such a phenomenon as team building, what it is and why it is needed, the Americans in the 50s.Then at a number of enterprises the practice of role-based collective trainings began. Employees in the costumed games played the role of various historical characters. The managers noted that this helped the workers to get to know each other better and to find common ground.
In domestic spaces, team building also appeared not so long ago. Moscow, St. Petersburg and other large cities to which foreign companies came in at the end of the 90s learned about this phenomenon for the first time. The formation of the team took place at the expense of sports, creative and psychological games. Today in domestic practice team building is quite popular, but not as common as we would like.
Team or group?
In order to understand why a team building company is needed, you need to understand the differences between a team and a group of people. They are clearly articulated by Tuckman and Jensen. The comparison is given in the table.
|The struggle for personal benefits participants prefer reciprocal concessions to achieve a common goal.||Each participant is independent and defends only his own interests.|
|Work is perceived as a part of life, as a personal responsibility.||Participants perceive the work exclusively as an obligation; they relate to it only from the point of view of subordinates.|
|Participants respect the ideas of each other, try to find their use for the common good.||New ideas are not welcome, everyone works within their competence.|
|Participants are open to sharing information and ideas.||An atmosphere of suspicion and distrust reigns in the group.|
|Conflict is perceived as the possibility of resolving misunderstandings and an impetus for further development.||Conflicts are protracted, unconstructive and retard development.|
|Each of the participants is trying to understand and accept the opinion of the other.||Everyone defends his position, not showing respect to the opposite side.|
This table clearly shows how preferable it is to organize teams for solving the tasks assigned to the team.
Key team building goals
The activity of the company's management in team building and harmonization is team building. What it is is easier to understand by examining the key objectives of this process. They are formulated as follows:
- Formation of interaction skills in various situations (regular or force majeure).
- Develop a sense of personal responsibility of the employee for the overall result.
- Replacing competition with close collaboration.
- Developing mutual respect, empathy and caring for each other.
- Employees are aware of the superiority of a collective goal over a personal one.
- Competent distribution of roles among employees of the organization.
- The harmonious combination of self with collective interaction.
- Forming a positive mood in collective relationships.
Depending on how and for what purpose teambuilding is carried out, it can be divided according to classification criteria. They can be divided into two main ones:
1. By effect:
- Motivational (the goal of the exercises is to challenge the participants).
- Emotional (exercise should promote elevation of mood or adrenaline).
- Testing (aimed at identifying hidden resources).
2. According to the method:
- Indoors (office or specially prepared room).
- On open air.
Team Building Forms
Having studied the global experience of corporate team-building, one can single out several of its main forms. Their list is as follows:
- Personal. Team building takes place due to the fact that employees get to know each other more closely and more deeply.During the training, participants should try to understand and accept each other's beliefs. As an example, it is possible to fill in questionnaires and pass tests, followed by discussion of the results.
- Active. There are some sporting events. This may be a banal tug of war or an extreme hike. Participants learn mutual help and trust.
- Game. There is an artificial simulation of situations in which each of the participants is assigned a certain role. As a rule, it allows you to develop collective skills.
- Problem. Participants are invited to jointly solve any problem. The organizer closely monitors the process to identify weaknesses in the team.
In world practice, some new and non-standard forms of team building are constantly emerging. Here are the main ones:
- Flashmob. Carrying out a photo shoot, shooting a video or the implementation of any installation according to a predetermined scenario.
- Woolen team building. This implies the use of balls of wool. Throwing the subject to someone from the participants, he proposes to establish communication with other employees.Gradually the tangles become larger, and all the participants are entangled by threads.
- Social team building. Combining the efforts of team members to participate in charity programs.
The decision to strengthen the team spirit should be deliberate and responsible. The organization of team building includes a number of important points:
- Goal. What problems are present in your organization? What result do you expect from the event?
- Time. How loaded are your employees? Will the training take their personal time? Is it possible to hold an event at the expense of working hours?
- Support. Do you know enough about team building and its features? Maybe you should bring a professional in this field to the organization?
- Budget. How much money can you allocate for the event?
- Atmosphere. Would your employees be interested in participating in a prepared event? Are you interested in yourself?
- Comfort. How far is it to get to the venue? If yes, arrange a transfer. How much time does the training take? If so, take a snack.
- Perfection.Did you do everything right? Did team building have any effect? This can be found by anonymous questioning of employees.
Examples of team building games
Not every organization can afford to hire a team building manager. Therefore, teambuilding can also be carried out in simplified forms. The script may include such simple games:
- Pantomime. The participant must show any conceived word without using verbal means. His colleagues guess. The game is aimed at developing mutual understanding and suppressing shyness.
- Racing. The game is held between participants in different departments or divisions. The captain must line up his team members on any basis (height, age, and so on) in ascending or descending order. Who first did it, he won. The game encourages employees to get to know each other better.
- Anonymous Each of the participants anonymously writes on the sheet some information about themselves. This may be facts from life or personal data. The sheets are shuffled, after which someone reads them. Those present must guess who it is in the description.
- Jump rope.If the head prefers to carry out team building in nature, this is an ideal option. It will take a long rope length of 2-3 meters. Employees must stand in a row and synchronously jump the maximum number of times without getting lost. Exercise develops skill coordination.
- Cooking Together, participants must prepare some dish from the proposed set of products. The exercise will identify informal leaders and teach how to distribute responsibilities.
Examples of non-standard team building
Classic game team building will surprise few people. To solve serious problems, you can resort to such non-standard methods:
- Testing products or services. The bottom line is to familiarize employees with the activities of the enterprise. Employees will be asked to test a product or service followed by a panel discussion.
- Densotherapy. The bottom line is to teach staff to dance. Each time the team will master the new dance style together. Each time the pairing will change.
- Quest. Many large entertainment centers have quest rooms. Getting into a closed artificially modeled world, employees will feel the importance of teamwork and dependence on each other.
Team Building Criticism
Strange as it may sound, some experts criticize team-building. Far from all employees understand what it is. Many of them take classes on the construction of the team just as an entertainment event. Therefore, there is a risk that the effort expended will be fruitless.
Do not underestimate the contribution of the head. Not being well acquainted with the theory and practice of team building, he may illiterately organize training or set the wrong goals for the participants.
There is another risk that should not be forgotten when organizing team building. It is possible that the result of the training will be the opposite of the expected. A conflict may well arise between the team members, which will lead to even greater discord and misunderstanding.
Human relationships are subtle matter. Sometimes misunderstanding, understatement or mutual hostility can become an obstacle to the development of the organization and the achievement of collective success. The task of an effective leader is to form a friendly and cohesive team of people with different interests, characters, and worldviews.This is the meaning of team building.