Syrup agave instead of sugar: product description, price, reviews
The birthplace of the blue agave, from which they makeA well-known all over the world drink of tequila, is Mexico. Juice for its preparation is obtained from large fruits of the plant, reaching a weight of 90 kilograms. Now more and more often this drought-resistant plant is grown in domesticated conditions. They use blue agave not only for obtaining tequila, but also for making a tasty and useful syrup.
Description of agave syrup
Syrup, or nectar, agaveappeared on the shelves of domestic storesrelatively recently, but immediately received the recognition of supporters of healthy eating. Later, he was appreciated by those who actively struggle with excess weight.
Blue agave syrup has a fairly simpleproduction technology. For its preparation, first the juice is extracted from the fruits of the plant. Then it is heated to a certain temperature and slowly evaporated to a thick, viscous consistency, which is inherent in most syrups. The shade of nectar depends on the duration of heat treatment. Options are available from light yellow, amber to dark brown.
Agave syrup resembles honey in a consistency. But the taste of nectar is a bit different, special. Sweet syrup has a pronounced creamy flavor with pleasant notes of caramel. It is good as an independent product, and as one of the ingredients in desserts and pastries.
Agave syrup contains a large amountnecessary vitamins: A, group B, E, K, PP. There are also important minerals in it, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, zinc, copper, iron, phosphorus, selenium and manganese. Such a rich composition makes it possible to use agave syrup as an effective immunomodulating agent. It is not only a natural, but also a useful substitute for sugar.
Fructose in the composition of nectar promotes accelerationmetabolism, excretion of toxins and toxins from the body. When consumed in large quantities, the syrup exerts a laxative effect on the body. It is recommended to people suffering from constipation.
Agave syrup does not contain proteins, fats - less than 1 gram, carbohydrates - 75 grams.
Caloric content and glycemic index
Caloric content of agave syrup is 310 kcal in 100 grams. This is even less than that contained in ordinary sugar - 370 kcal. And this is not the only advantage of nectar derived from the agave plant.
Its juice has a glycemic index of about 20-27units. This low value of the indicator is due to the composition of the product. It contains 90% fructose with a low glycemic index and 10% glucose. That is why agave syrup is positioned as a diabetic product. For comparison, the glycemic index of sugar is 70 units.
Benefit and harm
Thanks to the rich vitamin-mineral composition, agave syrup is very useful for the body. It even has a number of advantages over other sweeteners.
- Agave syrup is sweeter than sugar. And this means that, despite the almost identical calorie content, it should be added to dishes or drinks in less quantity. Careful care of the figure and dental health is ensured.
- For people with impaired glucose tolerance andsuffering from diabetes mellitus type 2, agave syrup safe sweetness. This is explained by the content in the composition of nectar inulin - a polysaccharide, which helps to lower the level of cholesterol and glucose in the blood. Organic matter has the same sweet taste as fructose.
- Agave nectar has a beneficial effecton the work of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract. Due to the presence of fructose, the syrup is effective for constipation. He gently cleanses the body of toxins. Inulin in the syrup fulfills the function of a prebiotic. It promotes an increase in the number of lacto- and bifidobacteria in the intestine.
- Agave juice removes not only toxins, but also excess fluid from the body. Therefore, it will be useful for diets.
- The rich vitamin-mineral composition of the product provides excellent prevention of viral diseases and strengthens immunity.
Agave syrup has practically no contraindications, but its use should be limited:
- all suffering from allergies;
- women planning a pregnancy, since the juice of the plant adversely affects the production of eggs;
- people with overweight.
Excessive use of nectar can lead to rapid weight gain, cause diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Contraindications to the use of syrup are diseases of the liver and gall bladder, type 1 diabetes mellitus and diseases associated with impaired hormone production.
What is the difference between dark and light agave syrup?
The color of agave syrup may differ dependingfrom the time of its preparation. The longer the nectar is evaporated, the more dense and dark it turns out. The taste qualities of a product of different colors are also different.
Light syrup is more like a flower honey. It has a soft, slightly caramel flavor. It can be added to cold cocktails or to ice cream. Dark nectar is used when preparing sauces or marinades for second courses. He will make the taste of the dish more piquant and interesting. Amber agave syrup is suitable for baking and other confectionery. They replace sugar in traditional recipes.
Agave syrup has not yet become widespread in Russia. But the buyers who tried it, do not forget to leave feedback about the product. Positive comments confirm that syrup:
- has a natural composition;
- economically spent, because it is sweeter than sugar;
- does not have a pronounced taste and is suitable for preparing not only desserts, but also second dishes;
- with a low glycemic index;
- safe sweetness for diabetics.
Customers like the taste of the product, and its effect on the body.
Agave syrup, reviews about which are mostly positive, yet not all buyers appreciated it. They note such shortcomings:
- high price for a small amount;
- in the cold form thickens, and squeezing it out of the bottle becomes very difficult.
Positive feedback prevails over negative comments, which means that the syrup is one of the best sugar substitutes available on the market.
Natural agave syrup: price
One of the drawbacks of agave syrup is the price. Not everyone can afford to buy this product, despite all its positive taste and useful qualities. On average, the price for a small bottle of 300 ml is 400-500 rubles. In comparison with the cost of sugar is very much. And even considering that agave syrup is sweeter, it still turns out to be quite expensive.
The best option for buying nectar -order it in foreign online stores. In this case, you can save at least a hundred rubles and get a natural product produced directly in Mexico.
Application of syrup in cooking
Agave syrup is a real sweetener. It is added to tea and coffee, used instead of sugar in the preparation of other hot and cold drinks, various cocktails, kissels, compotes.
The syrup contains glucose, whichis the main component of the fermentation reaction. And this means that such juice can easily replace sugar when making baked pastries and other confectionery products. You just need to adjust the classic recipe, given the taste qualities of the syrup extracted from the agave plant. Its juice is one and a half times sweeter than sugar. Thus, the syrup should be added to the recipe 1.5 times less. If the list of ingredients indicates 1 glass of sugar, agave juice will need 2/3 cups or even ½.
Agave syrup is a tasty and useful alternativesugar. Using it instead of sugar for tea and cooking in cooking, you can improve your well-being, strengthen your immune system and easily lose a few extra pounds.