Swamp area: a landmark of Moscow with a long history
The list of sights of Moscow is huge. Each guest of the capital of Russia, referring to the information indicated in the tourist guidebook, along with the world-famous museums, temples and parks, will find there a brief description of the park on the embankment of the Moskva River, called Bolotnaya Ploshchad.
What is remarkable about this area? Why is the area called "marsh" and what is its history? Today it is a green area planted with park trees, landscaped with benches, fountains, flower beds, children's playgrounds. After the reconstruction of the park at the end of the forties of the last century, a large light and music fountain appeared, the jets of which rise from the Vodootvodny Canal. Walking along the embankment, you can see the monument to I.E. Repin, installed here in 1958. Already in our century, in 2001, the sculptural composition "Children - victims of adult vices", the work of M. Shemyakina, still surprising with frankness attracted attention. Young people also did not stand aside. On the Luzhkov Bridge there are "love trees", on which a huge number of padlocks are hung. This landmark does not leave indifferent representatives of the younger generation and visitors to the city. Swamp area, photowhich is in any tourist prospectus, enjoys great popularity among the guests of the city.
For fans of antiquity there is a bit of history. The very name of the square came from the features of the natural landscape. For a long time the lowland on the other side of the Kremlin was flooded with spring floods, then a swamp formed. In winter, the place of the flooded meadow was covered with ice, and the inhabitants of Moscow arranged a large market. After the construction of the Vodootvodny Canal and drainage of the swamp in the fifteenth century, Ivan the Terrible ordered to break a huge orchard here that survived until the beginning of the eighteenth century. The fire of 1701 destroyed the "sovereign garden". During this period, the people there organized mass festivities, fisticuffs.
In honor of the victory in the Azov campaign of the Emperor PeterThe first Swamp area was illuminated with fireworks and lights, and in the 1920s, the Russians won a victory in the Swedish company and the coronation of the Empress Catherine the First. It was then that this place was called the Tsarina meadow.
Since the reign of Catherine the Firsthere are merchants selling grain. By the beginning of the nineteenth century Tsaritsyn meadow, or, as it was called by merchants, Labaznaya Square, was a whole district with urban buildings, shops and warehouses. He became particularly popular during the period of fasting, the merchants of this marketplace set prices to all the markets in Moscow. Already at this time behind the terrain fixed the name of the Swamp area. In the sixties of the last century, the name was changed to Repin Square, but in the late nineties the old one returned.
There are bloody facts in the story. It was here that mass executions took place. Parted with life such rebels as Nikita Pustosvyat, Andryushka Bezobrazov, Stepan Razin, beheaded was Emelyan Pugachev.
It was in the distant past. Swamp area acquired a modern look after reconstruction in 1938. Today it is a favorite meeting place for young people, representatives of different subcultures. Especially popular are the performances of firemen, street artists. Recently, there are youth rallies in support of the opposition.
Tourists wishing to visit the famous square,find out where the Bolotnaya Square is located how to get there, we advise you to go from the metro station "Tretyakovskaya" or "Polyanka". The path along the picturesque bridges is short and will bring aesthetic pleasure.