Selection of cold medicine for pregnant women
The most common disease among pregnant women is a cold. The reasons for its appearance are reduced immune properties of the body and viruses. Prescribe treatment to a pregnant woman can only her doctor. It will depend on the severity of the patient’s condition, the duration of the pregnancy and the complications caused by the disease.
Numerous hormonal changes occur in the body of a pregnant woman, and the amount of progesterone, which is responsible for protecting the fetus, is increasing. This hormone reduces the body's defenses and muscle tone, so that it does not take the embryo as a harmful object and not get rid of it. Therefore, during pregnancy, a woman is particularly susceptible to the penetration of viruses into the body. A simple cold at this time can lead to abnormal fetal development. In addition, a bacterial infection may occur.
Medications for pregnant women for colds is not easy to pick up.Not all medicines are allowed to receive during this period.
The first symptoms of a cold in which it is important to go to the doctor:
- General malaise and headaches. Such signs are characteristic both for the onset of ARVI and for the onset of pregnancy. Sometimes these symptoms indicate an increase in blood pressure.
- Stuffy nose and runny nose. Rhinitis may manifest as a distinct symptom. Frequent sneezing, heavy discharge from the nose and swelling of the mucous membrane will indicate a viral infection. What medications can take pregnant with colds, interests many.
- Tickling, pain and redness of the throat. Pain syndrome can be both weak and reach the cutting sensations. In case the voice is osyp and the pain does not allow to swallow normally, it is necessary to go to the otorhinolaryngologist to prevent the infection from penetrating into the larynx.
- Cough of different types: from dry and wet to expectorant. Cough should be treated, as it provokes tension in the abdominal muscles, and this is contraindicated in pregnant women.
- Increased body temperature. If the fever reaches above 37.5, it is urgent to seek help.Such a high temperature may indicate a dangerous infection in the body. It is important to choose the right medicine for pregnant women for colds.
These symptoms can indicate not only the onset of a cold, but also other diseases, such as bronchitis, sinusitis or laryngitis.
In the period of increasing incidence of viruses, a pregnant woman needs to further stimulate the immune system. Treatment of even banal colds is a rather complicated process, since most effective cold medicines for pregnant women in the first trimester are prohibited. The banality of this disease is very deceptive. Colds need to be treated. Therapy, for the most part, aims to protect the mother and fetus from the negative effects of viruses and infections, as well as complications after treatment.
Timely start of therapy
It is very important to timely start treatment in early pregnancy. During this period, important stages of the formation and development of the fetus occur. For this reason, the main problem for pregnant women is the question of which drugs can be taken at different periods of carrying a child.Therapy must necessarily take place under the supervision of a specialist. He will prescribe the correct treatment and explain how appropriate it is to use folk remedies in a particular case.
So, let's take a closer look at medications for pregnant women for colds.
The body's immune system responds by increasing the temperature of the body to infection. This helps the body to activate protective mechanisms, namely, to optimize tissue regeneration, speed up blood flow and create an environment that will be detrimental to pathogenic viruses and bacteria. Before lowering the temperature with medication, you should follow a number of recommendations:
- Reducing the temperature artificially affects the body's ability to resist a viral infection. Therefore, to fight the heat before the thermometer rises to the level of 38 degrees is not worth it.
- It is very important to be at rest at high temperatures, to stay in bed and carefully monitor the state of health. Active movements produce even more heat. What medications can be pregnant for colds, consider below.
- The room in which the patient is located must be regularly aired. The most suitable temperature in this case is not more than 20 degrees. The process of heat transfer will occur faster if the room is cool.
- An abundant warm drink plays an important role. It is necessary to provoke the evaporation of sweat from the skin and do it best from the inside with the help of hot tea, rosehip infusion or warm raspberry juice.
- You can put a cold wet cloth on your forehead.
- Brewed lime color is shown in any course of cold. For this you need to insist on boiling water 2 tablespoons of herbs per liter of water.
- Wrap yourself up, take a bath or steam out your feet when chills are strictly prohibited.
What can drugs from pregnant women with colds?
If you increase the heat more than 38 degrees, redness and fever, you must take the following measures:
- Wiping with vodka or vinegar solution (1: 1 with water). It is necessary to grind in zones of the main vessels - a neck, bends of elbows and knees, inguinal area, a nape.
- With the above solution, you can make a compress on the forehead.
- If there is no redness of the skin and the body is not hot, then rub off is not worth it.
- If the temperature has risen to the level of 40.5 degrees, there is delirium and numbness in the arms and legs, you should immediately call an ambulance.
What medications can I take for pregnant women with a cold?
Safe and effective drugs for pregnant women with colds are:
- Paracetamol-based drugs: Panadol, Efferalgun, etc. Drugs of this group do not significantly affect the development of the fetus and can be prescribed at any stage of pregnancy. However, their reception should be limited to three tablets per day with a course of no more than 4 days.
- Drotaverine-based drugs ("No-shpa"). The active substance relaxes the muscles, reducing the tone of the uterus and relieves a little. Drotaverinum is safe for the child and mother. This is not all medications for pregnant women for colds.
You can, but carefully
However, there is another category of drugs that are not recommended, because they can adversely affect the development of the child. It is possible to drink such medicines while carrying a child only if the effect of taking them is greater than the possible risks:
- Ibuprofen-based drugs, such as Ibufen, Nurofen, Ibuflam, etc., are prescribed for inflammatory viral infections. They can not be taken in late pregnancy, as this can lead to impaired renal function in an unborn child.
- Acetylsalicylic acid and preparations based on it. In the early stages of gestation, it can have a strong effect on the heart system of the child. There is a risk of developing heart failure in the fetus. In the later periods such drugs should also not be taken unless absolutely necessary, since they can cause bleeding during childbirth.
- Metamizol sodium in such medicines as "Baralgin", "Spazmalgon", "Analgin" and others. With long-term use, they are addictive and change blood composition due to toxicity.
- Instant fever-reducing drugs such as Coldrex, Rinza, Fervex, etc. They contain a large amount of vitamin C, which can cause the development of allergies.
What medications can be pregnant for colds and runny nose?
Treatment of rhinitis
Apply during pregnancy vasoconstrictor drugs of local action is not recommended.Such intranasal drugs include: Nazol, Nazivin, Naphthyzinum, Oxymetazoline and others. The risk of their use is due to the effect on the child’s cardiovascular system.
If the runny nose is too intense, you can use the following tools:
- Rinse the nasal passages with a solution of salt at the rate of 1 teaspoon per cup of warm water. To perform such a hygienic procedure you need up to 4 times a day.
- If the nose is heavily stuffed, you can increase the concentration of the solution to 2 teaspoons. In this embodiment, the fluid accumulated in the nasal cavity is washed out, breathing is facilitated and edema is removed.
- The pharmacy can purchase sea water based products such as Aquamaris, Aqualor and Dolphin. They cleanse the nasal sinuses well and help normalize breathing.
- There is also a drug that not only clears the nose, but also strengthens the immune system due to the presence of a dipeptide. The drug is called "Morenazal Immuno." It is absolutely safe for the child and the mother and is recommended for use as a virus prevention and elevation of the immune properties of the nasal mucosa. What medications can I take for pregnant women with a cold and cough?
One of the most dangerous symptoms of a cold is coughing. If it has appeared, then it is necessary for the pregnant woman to contact the doctor in charge, as this phenomenon may have a variety of reasons.
Measures that can be taken to relieve cough are:
- Comply with bed rest and rest.
- Avoid exposure to cold air.
- To warm the chest, legs and back.
- Abandon cold foods.
- Plentiful warm drink.
- Rubbing the chest and back with ointments with a warming effect.
- Drink tea with Parmel half a glass up to three times a day.
- At night, drink warmed milk with added butter. It is better to check with the doctor what medicines you can drink for pregnant women with a cold.
If the cough does not go away for a long time or is aggravated, the following drugs may be prescribed:
- "Lasolvan". It is applied starting from the second trimester. In pharmacies, you can find tablets, syrup and solution for inhalation. The last option in the case of pregnancy is most preferred.
- "ACC". Promotes the dilution of sputum and its further withdrawal. Appointed in any period of gestation.
Consider cold medicine for pregnant women with sore throat.
It is forbidden to use for the treatment of throat during pregnancy, various medical tinctures, sprays and preparations based on alcohol. Antibacterial drugs are also contraindicated in pregnant women. To improve the condition of the throat with tonsillitis, sore throat or pharyngitis, the following medications may be prescribed:
- "Miramistin" and "Chlorhexidine". Available in the form of solutions for rinsing the mouth. The active substances do not penetrate the placenta and blood, and therefore are completely safe for the unborn baby.
- Lugol. It is an antiseptic. In diseases of infectious nature in the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat has an undoubted positive effect. It contains glycerin and iodine.
From homemade recipes for sore throat you can trust this:
- Rinse with a special natural solution of eucalyptus and tea tree in oils at the rate of 3 drops of the drug per cup of heated water.
- Rinse with chamomile decoction. It is prepared by boiling 2 tablespoons of dry chamomile in a glass of water for five minutes.
- Milk with honey and tea with lemon also relieve pain and disinfect the throat. These drinks can be consumed during the entire period of the disease. What medicine to drink for cold women pregnant for the prevention of complications?
Treatment of cold during pregnancy is a rather complicated process. This is especially true for the first trimester, when even the most basic drugs are banned. For this reason, it is worth thinking about strengthening your body and overall health in advance. The following proactive measures can be taken as prevention:
- When planning pregnancy, special attention should be paid to strengthening the protective properties of the organism as a whole. Even before conception, many experts prescribe a special examination, a course of vitamins and minerals, folic acid. It is also recommended to give up bad habits and begin tempering. Such measures will allow a woman during pregnancy easier to tolerate toxicosis and be more resistant to various viruses and infections.
- Equally important for the health of a woman while carrying a child is proper nutrition. It also plays a special role in organic fetal development and in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.Many problems, such as constipation and hemorrhoids, colds, heartburn and toxicosis in severe form, as well as fetal hypoxia, can be avoided if you include enough vegetables and fruits, fish and meat in your diet and try not to take nutritional supplements. And what medicines to take for pregnant women with a cold, it is also better to clarify in advance.
- Dressing a pregnant woman should be due to the weather. You should not wrap up much, but you should not supercool too. It is better to give preference in the cold season to natural materials.
- Safety is also at the forefront. You should be attentive to yourself during pregnancy, avoid close contact with potentially infected people, wash your hands more often and, if possible, avoid using public toilets. Then, perhaps, you will not need medicine for colds for pregnant women.
Although our body deliberately reduces the protective properties during pregnancy, we should not allow excessiveness in attempts to strengthen the immune system. Serious immunomodulators are also contraindicated for pregnant women for the most part, even multivitamin complexes can be taken only with the consent and as directed by the doctor.
Now you know what medications for pregnant women with a cold can be used.