Rhubarb compote: recipe. How to make rhubarb compote for the winter
Compote from rhubarb was prepared in ancient times. This healing and fortified drink was invented by Chinese culinary masters. It quenches thirst, improves digestion and increases appetite. We will talk about ways to make a wonderful drink in this article.
A bit of history
Rhubarb ("excellent yellow root") was brought back to Russia, returning from a regular expedition, N. M. Przhevalsky. The famous geographer, better known to his compatriots by the horse named after him, found rabarbar (rhubarb) in China at the end of the 19th century. In Russia, the vegetable is well caught. It began to be harvested in such quantities that the royal mirrors were acquired for the Hermitage to the proceeds from the export of rhubarb to Northern Italy.
Currently, rhubarb compote is gaining more and more popularity among Russians. This is not surprising.The drink from this plant comes out fragrant, sweet and sour, competing in vitamin richness with apple. Of great importance for thrifty owners is the fact that rhubarb can be consumed without any fear at all for the figure. Cooked in any way, this vegetable contains 100 grams of only 16 kilocalories. In addition, many healing properties are attributed to the miracle plant. It enhances immunity, improves skin regeneration, prevents the development of strokes and heart attacks, significantly reduces the risk of pneumonia. Information on how to make rhubarb compote will be outlined below. However, you should first get acquainted with the rules of storage of this unusual product.
Before you cook the compote of rhubarb, you need to select for it the freshest and youngest plant stems. It is better if they are saturated red. Faded and sluggish petioles can spoil the taste of the drink. In addition, the benefits of such a dish will be minimal - all the healing substances and vitamins in such a plant are likely to be absent. Fresh cuttings of rhubarb can be kept in the refrigerator for only two days.If you put the plant in the freezer, then its shelf life will last significantly. It is known that rhubarb has a sour taste. Therefore, the amount of sweetener in a drink can be adjusted as desired. You can put honey instead of sugar in rhubarb compote. It will make it even sweeter.
The classic recipe for rhubarb compote
- Young and juicy petioles of a red plant (they contain more sugar) should be thoroughly washed, cut into neat pieces of 2-3 cm in length and left to soak in cold water for 12 hours. During this period, the fluid must be changed two or three times.
- Then the pieces of rhubarb should be planted for 30-40 seconds in boiling water. If necessary, the processing time can be increased to 1-1.5 minutes.
- Now you need to quickly move the plant into cold water, cool it, spread it tightly on previously sterilized jars.
- After that, you should cook sugar syrup. It should be 30-50% of the concentration, that is, in one liter of water it is necessary to dissolve from 1.5 to 3 glasses of sugar. In the compote long-term storage, you should add more sweetness so that the drink does not ferment like wine.To prepare the syrup, the enameled pan needs to be filled with water, add sugar to it, bring the resulting solution to a boil and keep on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Next, the sugary liquid should be thoroughly drained and let it boil again over low heat.
- After that, banks with rhubarb laid in them must be poured on top with hot sugar solution. In one half-liter jar can fit 300 grams of stalks and 200-250 grams of fill.
- When harvesting rhubarb compote for the winter, it should be remembered that the plant cannot be boiled for a long time. Under the influence of heat treatment, oxalic acid begins to form in the petioles. This substance can harm the human body. In addition, rhubarb is instantly boiled soft, which makes the drink out of it much less attractive and pleasant to taste.
- Next, filled to the very edges of the jar should be placed in a pot of warm water, cover them with lids and put on the stove for sterilization. Half-liter containers at a temperature of 100 degrees should be processed 15 minutes, liter - 20-25 minutes.
- Then sterilized cans with compote must be sealed, turned down the lids, wrap and cool.
Now you know how to prepare a compote of rhubarb for the winter.Your family will appreciate the aroma and taste of this wonderful drink.
Recipe compote of rhubarb and raisins. Ingredients
You do not need any special delights in order to cook the compote of rhubarb. The recipe of the drink involves the use of the following products:
- rhubarb stalks - 500 grams;
- sugar - 5-6 tablespoons;
- raisins - 1/2 cup;
- lemon peel;
- water - 1.5-2 liters.
Method of making compote from rhubarb and raisins
- First you need to cut off the leaves from the stalks of rhubarb, leaving only the thick lower petioles pink. From them it is necessary to remove the upper skin.
- Then you should cut the stalks into segments of a length of 2-3 centimeters.
- After that, it is necessary to pour granulated sugar into boiling water and boil the resulting solution over a low heat for about five minutes.
- Now you should put the raisins and rhubarb pieces into the sugar syrup and boil the drink for about 7 minutes.
- Next, compote from rhubarb should be removed from the heat, add lemon peel, chopped into strips.
- Then the dishes with a drink must be covered with a lid and left to cool completely.
- If necessary, compote of rhubarb can be drained.It is served to the table as a refreshing drink in large glasses with pieces of ice. It turns out very tasty.
Compote of apples and rhubarb. Ingredients
Together with apples you can cook a wonderful compote of rhubarb. The recipe for this drink contains the following ingredients:
- rhubarb - 400 grams;
- Apple - 1 piece;
- sugar - 3-4 tablespoons;
- fresh mint - 1 sprig;
- Cinnamon - 1 stick.
Compote from rhubarb and apples. Cooking method
- First, pour 2.5-3 liters of water into a large saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- After that, the stalks of rhubarb must be washed, peeled and cut into pieces 3-4 cm long.
- Then you need to wash one sour apple and cut it into slices of medium size. At the same time the seed box and the stem should be removed.
- Now cinnamon must be placed in a container of boiling water and boil for five minutes.
- Then rhubarb, apples, sugar and a sprig of fresh mint should be added to the same pan.
- Then, when the liquid in the pot boils again, you need to remove the cinnamon stick from the fruit and discard.
- After that, the pot of drink must be removed from the stove and cover with a lid. Compote in it should be infused for 8-10 hours.
Further, the drink can be drained and served.
This article outlined several ways to make rhubarb compote.