Making flowers from fabric with your own hands: 10 stages of the master class
DIY-made fabric flowers easily enough. We offer you several ways to make large cloth flowers and small flowers. Talk about the tools and materials you need to create flat and voluminous colors. And also we bring to your attention several popular schemes for making flowers.
This kind of needlework came to us from China. Chinese masters create not only flowers from fabric, but also animals, birds and others. Fabric flowers look incredibly beautiful and can please you regardless of the season. Despite the fact that needlework appeared in our country quite recently, already thousands of women create real works of art from fabric.
Fabric flowers are used to decorate clothes or woven into hair. Such flowers, unlike paper ones, look more natural, although it makes them a little more difficult.We have prepared a master class with a photo, thanks to which you can quickly and easily make flowers with your own hands.
What tools and materials will be needed for making flowers from fabric?
You will need:
- the cloth;
- candle or lighter;
- hot glue gun;
- beads, rhinestones, sequins, etc.
What fabric is better to choose for creating flowers with your own hands?
Choosing fabric for flowers, stop at satin, silk or velvet. Some needlewomen make flowers from brocade of gold or silver color, leather.
If you are going to make flowers from synthetic fabric, remember that such materials should be processed at a certain temperature. Maintain this temperature is quite difficult. If overheated, the fabric can easily melt, but if the temperature is too low, you will not be able to process the material.
In no case do not buy stretch fabrics for making flowers, they do not hold the shape at all. Your flower will simply fall apart.
It is not necessary for flowers to buy fabric in a special store.Use the material that you have at home. It may be trimming from old things or unnecessary clothing.
Master class on making flowers from fabric
- The production of any flower must begin with the choice of fabric. It is not necessary to dwell on any one material. Flowers from a combination of fabrics of various texture and density look very original. The color scheme can also be absolutely any: you can make a single-colored flower or combine several shades. We will take white silk.Tip! With self-coloring the finished flower will look much more natural.
- The choice of flower sizes. Small flowers look as impressive as large flowers made of fabric. After sizing, you should make templates for the petals, their diameter should differ by 0.5 cm from each other. For our flower, the largest petal will have a diameter of 37 mm.Important! The more petals, the more voluminous flower you get. The volume will depend on the density of the fabric.
- Cut out the patterns of our flower petals. 4-5 petals of each diameter.
- The first version of the flower will be with a partial dyeing of silk.To do this, slightly moisten the workpiece and paint the middle of each petal. Leave the petals to dry completely. The second option - the fabric is painted completely. The third option - the flower is made from colored fabric without coloring.Important! Before dyeing, be sure to moisten the fabric, so the transitions of shades will be smoother, and your flower will look more natural.
- Carefully cut each tab, making 4–15 mm cuts in a circle and rounding each edge.Important! Cutting the petals, do not reach the center of the circle, otherwise you will fail.
- Carefully handle the edge of each petal with a cigarette lighter or a candle so that the fabric does not open.
- Spread the resulting petals in size and proceed to the manufacture of the flower itself. Collect the petals from larger to smaller, fixing each petal with glue.Tip! So that your flower does not break up, you can fasten the middle with a thread.
- To make a flower cup, you can buy a green cloth and cut leaves from it. Or in the store you can find ready-made plastic sepals. Stamens can be cut from foam.
- After we have collected the flower petals, connect them with the sepals and insert the stamens.
- Now the finished flower can be mounted on a bezel, brooch or hairpin.
Tips for needlewomen on making flowers from fabric do it yourself
In order to saturate the fabric with gelatin for flowers, use the following recipe: 3 tsp. gelatin soak in 300 ml of water and leave for 1 hour. Then heat the swollen gelatin in a water bath, stirring for 10 minutes. Do not bring to a boil!
Pour the resulting mass on a plate, slightly cool. Dip the cloth into the solution, then hang out to dry, in no case squeezing it out. For thin tissue, more gelatin is required than for dense.
For the corrugation of the fabric you will need gauze and iron. Put the fabric together with the accordion gauze and immediately iron it with a hot iron, turning clockwise. For shirring chiffon is best.
It is better not to wash fabric flowers afterwards. This is especially true of flowers on gelatin. Keep them in a special box, so they will serve you for a long time.
In addition to fabric flowers, you can make beautiful flowers from ribbons, fixing them directly on clothing. Create and experiment, fabric flowers can complement your look and add zest to your outfit.