How to wash the cat, so as not to harm your pet? 5 easy steps
For many who just started a kitten, the important question is how often you can bathe your pet and whether it is necessary at all. Healthy cats do not need frequent washing, they carefully lick their wool, keeping it in perfect order.
In addition, special glands produce a natural protective lubricant that helps the animal to care for itself. But you still have to bathe the cat in the process of care, because it gets dirty, and its beautiful and silky wool falls down.
How to wash the cat yourself and how often should this procedure be? There is a mistaken view that these graceful animals are afraid of water and very poorly tolerate bath procedures.
But in reality it is not so - if you teach a kitten from the first months of life, then bathing in the future will not cause any problems and will bring joy to the pet and its owner.The frequency of bathing is not too big - 5-6 times a year is enough, the rest of the time cats perfectly maintain cleanliness themselves.
When should I bathe the cat?
Before you start washing your cat at home, you need to decide when to do it.Indicators for bathing are the following states:
- the pet is very dirty, his fur is dull, falls down with ugly mats;
- parasites are found in wool;
- allergic reactions, lichen, dermatitis, other skin diseases were detected;
- during the preparation for the exhibition.
You can not bathe a cat in the following situations:
- animal hurt;
- in the postoperative period;
- in late pregnancy;
- within 2 weeks after vaccination.
Useful tips: how to bathe the cat
Before you wash the cat, it is necessary to provide for the reaction of the animal to water. Many pets do not like her, especially if they have not been accustomed to this since the first months of life.
In this case, experts recommend to be patient, do not shout at the cat and do not water it from the shower.If it is impossible to teach a kitten to water on its own, you can consult a veterinarian, who will tell you how to dip an animal in water correctly.
Before you bathe the cat, it is recommended to cut its claws so that the pet does not scratch you, comb the wool and remove all the tangles, if any. Next, you should prepare a place for swimming - it is best to do it in a bath or sink, some prefer to bathe their pet in a comfortable basin.
Bathing will require:
- special shampoo (for sleek-haired, long-haired, kittens or adult cats, anti-parasitic - today a large selection of pet care products is offered in stores);
- washcloth for a neat head cleaning;
- medication (if necessary);
- a soft towel so that you can wipe the cat immediately after bathing;
- a hat that covers the ears of the pet (you can buy ready-made or do it yourself).
In the bath, it is recommended to take some warm water, its temperature should be 37-40 degrees. It is very important to remember that the cat is not afraid of the water itself, but of the noise that comes from the streaming water.Therefore, the pressure from the mixer should not be large and frightening to the pet, it is better to wet the wool out of the palm, but the remnants of shampoo can be washed off with a shower without lifting its head too high.
When bathing a cat, it is necessary to create a normal psychological environment, no loud noises and cries, it is better to contact your pet quietly and kindly.
Some people use special short leashes with suction cups for bathing, but this is not the best option, as the pet may become frightened and in the future bath procedures will be difficult. It is better to hold the cat with your hand over the shoulders, gently applying shampoo on the stomach, back, chest and legs.
First bath day: bathe the kitten
We must begin with the question of how to bath a kitten for the first time at home. It is recommended to do this, a couple of weeks after the fluffy baby has appeared in the house.
During this time, he will have time to adapt to the situation and people, and it is always easier to wash a baby than an adult cat.
How often do I have to wash the kitten? The first time almost every week, because the little fidgets love to get dirty in flowerpots with flowers or a tray with sand, not yet learned how to care for an adult animal.
For the care, special low-foaming hypoallergenic shampoos for kittens are used, with which the fur and skin of babies remain healthy and sufficiently moisturized.
It is necessary to bathe the kitten at home regularly, about once every 2 months, which will make it easier to comb the wool, give the pet a well-groomed, beautiful look.
If necessary, the animal can be washed more often, for example, if the kitten is dirty in the ground or sand. Otherwise, it is no more difficult to atone for him than an adult cat that is already accustomed to such procedures.
5 easy steps how to wash a cat
The question of how to wash a cat is solved with the help ofsimple 5 steps.
- The cat must be carefully placed in the bath (it is better if the water does not reach its abdomen), slowly pour warm water, avoiding contact with the nose and ears.
- Next, the cat should be gently soaped with shampoo with light massaging movements, if the animal is nervous, you should speak with him gently and quietly, without scaring even more.The muzzle is washed with a small sponge, this should be done very carefully and carefully.
- Wool thoroughly rinsed, for this you can use the shower, but not lifting it too high. All shampoo needs to be washed off, if it remains on the skin, it may further cause irritation.
- The cat should be gently blotted with a soft towel, this is especially important for long-haired pets.
- If your pet tolerates drying with a hair dryer, you can dry the coat with a warm stream of air, five to ten minutes after bathing. In other cases, the cat gently wrapped in a dry towel until the wool dries itself.
What if the cat is afraid of water?
What if the pet is afraid of water and it is very difficult to bathe it? The situation is difficult, but solved - before the procedure, you should definitely cut the claws, play with the cat so that it comes to a relaxed state.
It is necessary to start bathing the animal gradually, not to lower the pet into the water immediately, but slowly, using your favorite toys as bait.
Very nervous cats when bathing at home can arrange real battles, struggling and trying to scratch or bite.But they can not shout or clap on the face, as this will not only calm the pet, but also cause even more stress.
Bathing a cat at home is not as difficult as it seems at first glance. In most cases, cats are not afraid of water, but of loud sounds and a situation in which they cannot move freely. Therefore, it is recommended to spend a bathing day for your pet in a relaxed atmosphere, using the recommended 5 simple steps.