Flag of the Navy of the USSR: purpose, history of creation and description
The USSR was formed in 1922. All the symbols of the power of the Russian Empire by that time were canceled for five years. The new state was required to approve its symbols, including the flag of the Soviet Navy. It took time, because the fighting did not stop for a long time.
For the history of the Soviet state, three sketches of the Navy were approved. Each of them had its own characteristics. The last option lasted forty two years.
In the Charter of the Ship the flag of the Navy of the USSR was designated as the Battle Flag. He was a symbol of military honor, glory, valor. His task was to remind the crew of the duty, which was to protect the Soviet homeland. The flag also served as a reminder of heroic traditions.
1923 flag description
For the first time the flag of the Navy of the USSR appeared in 1923. His sketch was developed by the captain of the first rank N. Ordinsky. He took the banner of the Japanese Navy as a basis.
- rectangular shape in a ratio of three to two;
- canvas red;
- in the center of the canvas is a white circle equal to half the width of the canvas, he symbolized the sun;
- from the circle, eight white stripes diverge towards the middle of the four sides and four corners;
- in the center of the circle is a five-pointed star, its color is red, it faces one of the ends upwards, its diameter is equal to five sixths of the diameter of the circle;
- in the star there is a white sickle and hammer.
In the same year, the flag was raised on military courts in honor of the fifth anniversary of the October Revolution. Approved it only in 1924.
Archival photographs showing the destroyers Kalinin and Voikov with flags raised by Ordynsky N.I. have been preserved.
1935 flag description
The banner of 1923 existed for twelve years. Thoughts about his change began to arise in the country's leadership back in 1932. At this time, the naval forces of the Far East were created. Three years later, of them created the Pacific Fleet.
The existing Naval flag strongly resembled the symbol of the island nation, which could cause problems. Therefore, in 1935, approved the new flag of the Navy of the USSR, which existed for fifteen years.
- white canvas;
- blue stripe along the bottom of the panel;
- the five-pointed star is colored red, it is placed in the middle of the left half of the canvas, is directed upwards with one of the ends, the diameter of the figure is equal to two thirds of the width of the whole banner;
- the red sickle with a hammer is crossed with each other, placed in the center of the right half of the canvas, the largest diameter of the symbol is equal to two thirds of the width of the white part of the cloth.
The ratio of white and blue is five to one. The dimensions of the canvas are three to two.
1950 flag description
By 1950, the flag of the Navy of the USSR (photo below) was slightly modified. The decree on this was not recorded in the Union Code of Laws. Appearance was approved only in 1964.
- white canvas with a blue stripe that is placed along the bottom;
- in the left half of the white sheet is a red five-pointed star, one of its ends pointing upwards;
- on the right side of the white leaf there is a sickle with a reddish hammer, they are crossed with each other, and the lower extreme points of their arms and the lower extreme corners of the star are at the same level.
The flag sizes of the USSR Navy in 1950 differ significantly from the previous version.The ratio of width to length was one to one and a half. The size of the five-pointed star has changed, it visually caught up with the crossed sickle and hammer. The width of the blue part became equal to one sixth of the entire width of the flag.
That was the banner that remained until 1992, when it was not replaced by the modern symbol of the Russian Navy.
Description of the Guards option
The beginning of the Second World War brought significant changes in the lives of not only millions of people, but also in the state system. In 1941, created one of the first Guards connections. A year later, the title received ships of the Soviet Navy.
For such ships was approved Guards Navy. The banner had the only difference from the 1935 version. At the bottom of the white canvas, between the red symbols of the Soviet Union and the blue ribbon, was placed Guards Ribbon. She was tied in a bow, her ends diverged in waves in both directions along the blue ribbon. Guards tape was orange with three black longitudinal stripes.
In 1950, due to changes in the flag of the Navy, the Guards Navy was transformed. Guards tape changes have not touched, but its size was approved.The length was eleven to twelve of the length of the banner, and the width was one to twenty the width of the entire canvas.
The flag existed until 1992, until it was replaced by the variant of the Russian Federation.
The original flag of the Navy of the USSR is ninety by one hundred and thirty cm. Similar specimens can be found in the museums of the Russian Federation. What did the symbols on the white flag of the Soviet Navy mean?
- a star is a badge of the Red Army;
- crossed sickle with a hammer - one of the main emblems of the Soviet state, meant the union between peasants and workers;
- the blue bar is a symbol of the sea.
Recently, original flags have become popular among the population. Demand creates supply, so there are online stores that manufacture and sell flags, as well as other attributes of the USSR.