At what age does a baby need a pillow? Tips moms
At what age does a baby need a pillow? If you listen to the opinion of the doctors, it can be concluded that the baby can do without it for up to 1-2 years. This is due to the anatomical features of the body of the newborn. Elevation under the head during sleep can easily cause spinal curvature, scoliosis and other unpleasant diseases. However, if you still think that it is uncomfortable for your baby to sleep without a pillow, her choice should be given great importance.
How to choose a pillow for a newborn?
If the question of how old a child needs a pillow, you answered “from the earliest,” the butterfly pillow is the most practical option. The name of the product of this type received due to its shape. Visually, they look like a ring roller, in the middle of which there is a special notch for the head. This form of pillow contributes to the normal development of the bones of the skull, as well as the spine of the crumbs in the area of the cervical region.It is possible to use pillows of such a plan from one month of age until the child is 2 years old.
Such a pillow for children is very popular due to the ability to fix the baby in the position on the back or side. The design itself is very simple: on a small thin pad, the head of the crumbs is located, and the position of the body is determined by two rollers on the sides. As the child grows up, their position can be adjusted.
Head rest pillows
As a rule, they are made across the entire width of the bed. This is very convenient, because during sleep the child will not slip from the pillow. No matter how the baby turns in his sleep, his body will always remain in a physiologically correct position.
Pillows for preschool children
Since in most cases the question of how old a child needs a pillow is answered “from 1.5-2 years old”, special attention should be paid to the selection of bedding for babies of this age group. Here you need to focus on a large number of criteria, because Each child begins to develop individually:
- the width of the pillow should be equal to the width of the bed itself (usually in the region of 60-70 centimeters), the length is about 40,and height - 8-10 centimeters (in accordance with the width of the shoulder of the child);
- the material from which the pillow is made should be elastic - the baby should not “sink” in it, but it is also not recommended to buy too hard products;
- make sure that, if necessary, the selected pillow can be washed without problems;
- materials must be 100% environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic;
- the pillow must have sufficient breathability.
As a pillow for the baby, and for the preschooler must be made of natural quality materials. In modern stores you can offer these options:
- Synthetics. A good choice for parents with children with allergies. The disadvantage of these pillows is their low breathability - this means that in the warm season the baby will often sweat at night.
- Sheep wool. Light and soft, these pillows are traditionally considered one of the best options. True, certain inconveniences will be caused by the wool's ability to roll into lumps (there are two ways to get out of the situation - by replacing the old thing or by giving preference to a model where wool is combined with synthetics).
- Buckwheat huskPillows with such a filler are used for medicinal purposes, because have a strong orthopedic effect. They are completely hypoallergenic and easily breathable, they are light and elastic.
- Pooh For children, downy pillows are generally not the best option. the body during sleep will not maintain the correct position.
- Pillows with orthopedic basis. Developed taking into account the anatomical features of each age group. They are characterized by a long service life and contribute to the formation of the right spine.
Now you know about how old a child needs a pillow, and how to pick it up. I hope these tips will be useful to you. Good luck!